The job has expired.
To conduct thermodynamic research and modelling to support the future design, operation and safe decommissioning of existing UK nuclear facilities. Use thermodynamics to support research programmes for the development of new technology which will help the UK achieve its target of net zero carbon dioxide emissions by 2050.
- Develop and undertake customer-funded programmes of work in chemical modelling.
- Carry out research as part of an integrated team including modellers, experimental scientists and engineers.
- Maintain positive customer relationships.
- Encourage and develop links with external academic, professional and industrial contacts in C&PM throughout the C&PM capability community.
- Develop the team's thermodynamic modelling capability.
- Contribute to national and international R&D activities to develop chemical modelling databases, including working with the Nuclear Energy Agency
- Develop of advanced modelling techniques for liquid phase systems
- Perform literature reviews
- Produce high-quality technical work and disseminate through high quality report writing and presenting.
- Contribute to journal articles and coordinate their publication
- Use their technical skills in both chemical theory and mathematics with their aptitude to learn in order to develop within the role
The Ideal Candidate
- Hold a bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemistry or a related discipline at least at 2(i) level.
- Hold (or be close to submission of) a PhD in a relevant discipline.
- PhD research must have included a significant modelling component.
- Experience of post-doc research is in the field of thermodynamic modelling is desirable.
- Can demonstrate they have technical skills in both chemical theory and mathematics
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.