Senior Shielding Consultant
Provide technical leadership and advice to NNL laboratories and external customers, to enable the delivery of technical projects and ensure Shielding safety in operations. Enhance technical skills within the Shielding area and support development of team member's skills and capability. Support the development of NNL's national reputation in the Shielding area.
The location for this role is flexible between all our sites in the North West of England. In addition we offer the flexibility to work from home on a regular basis.
- Leading technical delivery of Shielding safety to operations and projects in NNL laboratories and external customers to time, cost, quality, value and service requirements, including:
- direction and supervision of other Shielding consultants.
- management of relationships with the Laboratory Manager, Projects/PMA, Compliance, NNL Executive and CEO, other safety and security disciplines, and other designated safety roles.
- management of relationships with external stakeholders, e.g., customer, site licence company and the Operations Control Manager, regulator (ONR) and INSA.
- advice, training and independent inspection.
- Leading NNL’s Shielding support consultancy to external customers.
- Provide expert knowledge of shielding safety assessment including being up to date with developments in methodology and approach.
- Managing shielding support to multi-disciplinary teams addressing safety challenges.
- Identifying and developing new opportunities for the team, including technical support to bids.
- Use initiative to develop new capabilities through innovative approaches and providing insight. Technical lead on IR&D projects and submissions.
- Maintain technical awareness of both NNL and external competitors’ capabilities within the shielding safety area. Share best practice to improve the team.
- Developing team SQEP skills for shielding, e.g., mentoring and supervision. Deliver specialist shielding training.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree qualified or equivalent level of demonstrable technical capability.
- SQEP 3 with demonstrable experience in shielding safety.
- Preferably Chartered Membership of a professional institution, or working towards this qualification
- Good level of knowledge in the specialised field of shielding safety assessment. Some knowledge of advanced assessment techniques.
- Proven ability to act independently, under own initiative, while supervising other members of the team.
- Strong communication skills, including multi-site working.
- Strong teamworking skills, with ability to influence the work of a team.
- Experienced in mentoring and developing technical skills.
- Good networking skills, maintaining network across the shielding field nationally.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.