Senior Research Technologist (Immobilisation Science & Technology)
The National Nuclear Laboratory’s Immobilisation Science & Technology Team are looking to recruit a Senior Research Technologist to lead the delivery of laboratory based projects for our customers. This new role gives significant opportunity for personal development in the team alongside growing our established team to enable future delivery of work for customers and succession planning within the team.
- Work alongside technical leads, lab technicians, project managers and customers to ensure that work is delivered to time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with technical leads and technicians within the team to enable effective delivery of work.
- Provide leadership of packages of work with minimal supervision.
- Performing practical experimental work on a lab and rig scale.
- Ensure all relevant safety rules and procedures are applied .
- Interpretation and presentation of results including leading on the preparation of Technical Memoranda and Reports.
- Actively involved in delivering the EHSSQ and assurance plans
The Ideal Candidate
- Higher degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or process chemistry with typically >5 years relevant experience.
- An experienced practitioner with significant experience working in a laboratory environment
- Designing & performing experimental work and interpreting results.
- Evidence of ability to plan and deliver work within budget and on time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel.
- A proven track record in producing high quality technical reports and/or journal papers.
- Proven ability to analyse data, present technical information to others.
- Good problem solving, analytical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- The ability to effectively mentor and coach junior colleagues.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Motivated, proactive and organised with an ability to multi-task several ongoing projects and plan own time effectively to enable timely delivery of work.
- Ability to get relevant security clearance
- Chartership of a relevant Professional Institute.
- Previous knowledge/ experience of nuclear encapsulation technologies
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering or process chemistry
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.