Deputy Technical Lead (Defence PIE)
The role holder will act as Deputy Technical Lead within the Defence PIE team delivering examination of irradiated fuel and components working with the operations and technical leads to deliver high quality results and ensure continued operation of the facility for a project which is critical to the national interest. The role will be based within Windscale Active Handling Facility with a requirement to spend time at Workington Laboratory developing and commissioning new equipment and rigs. The role requires a significant proportion of time being spent on plant overseeing the PIE work and understanding the technical drivers for the operations.
- Develop and maintain an in depth technical and operational knowledge of the Defence PIE team work, which includes handling and analysis of highly active materials.
- Working closely with CWL, project managers, and capability managers across the wider PIE team to agree and understand the desired technical outcomes.
- Carry out designated work packages to extremely high standards of safety, cost, quality & time.
- Prioritisation of technical work schedules in combination with the local task supervisors, project managers and technical leads.
- Support operational and technical leads with design and implementation queries where necessary.
- Deputise for the Technical Lead with internal and external stakeholders as required.
- Liaise with our customers and supply chain.
- Work with the Capability Manager to ensure the team is technically SQEP for designated roles.
- Work closely with operations and maintenance teams to ensure continued smooth running of rigs and the facility.
The Ideal Candidate
- Post graduate (doctoral) degree in a materials science / engineering discipline and several years of industry experience.
- High quality of technical written reports and evidence of technical report writing.
- Proven ability to problem solve in technical situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to deliver within a team environment.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft word and excel packages.
- SC cleared (or ability to become so).
- Due to the nature of this role, it is only open to UK nationals.
- Classified radiation worker (Training will be undertaken if candidate is not already classified).
- Experience of working with external stakeholders within government.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.