The job has expired.
NNL is where your understanding of reactors fuels the nation. As part of our Fuel Reactor & Reprocessing capability, you’ll play a vital role in developing the UK fuel cycle in line with advances in new technology and new processes. As old reactors reach the end of their lifespan, we need experts like you, with the technical skills to virtually model scenarios that not only enable us to explore new ways of managing the inputs and outputs of reactors, but also pave the way for the implementation of smaller, cleaner revolutionary new reactors. This is a place where you can use your knowledge and expertise to do long term meaningful work for years to come.
A Materials Scientist will support Senior Materials Scientists, Technical Leads, and lead work packages to develop techniques for the measurement of irradiated materials properties in high radiation environments.
This role supports UK defence and civil customers e.g. Rolls-Royce/MoD/Jacobs/EdF, providing support to ongoing post irradiation examination campaigns in support of plant safety cases and research and development activities.
- Accountable to the Defence Materials Capability Manager for the supply of materials expertise.
- Take the leading technical role in developing solutions to aid in the measurement of irradiated materials properties in hot-cell applications.
- Maintain existing hot-cell rigs.
- Look at emerging technologies for application within the NNL hot cells.
- Undertake the design, build, operation and data analysis of test rigs to gather information on irradiated materials in support of customer projects.
- Train and educate other staff in the operation and maintenance of rigs developed.
- Development and maintenance of strong customer delivery links.
- Contributions to proposals for both internally funded (Core Science) and customer funded work.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential criteria for Materials Scientist
- Minimum of a degree in materials science or metallurgy, with an element of materials/mechanical testing.
- Demonstrable experience working in a materials based industry.
- Demonstrable experience test development to meet international standards.
- Demonstrable experience of developing complex R&D projects.
- The ability to communicate complex technical ideas both written and verbally with clarity.
- Proven ability to manage operators and technicians in operation of test programmes.
- The ability to achieve SC Clearance
- The ability to view UK eyes only information (in order to do this you must be a UK national with no other nationalities – i.e. not a dual national)
Desirable criteria for Materials Scientist
- Experience in zirconium alloys, pressure vessel steels or nuclear materials.
- Chartered Scientist or Engineer in a relevant discipline.
- Experience of hot-cell operations.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.