Technical Support Officer
The Technical Support Officer (Waste and Environment) is responsible for the management and operation of waste and environmental arrangements for NNL’s Sellafield Operations (Windscale and Central Laboratory) to allow the smooth and continued operation of these facilities. They will be responsible for ensuring NNL’s compliance with a number of requirements and regulations governing the nuclear industry and its relevant Site Licence Conditions, principally in relation to waste management (solid, aerial and liquid). At this grade they will act as the primary appointee for a number of minor key roles and as deputy under supervision and direction of more senior staff for the Laboratory’s major key roles. Though based at the Central Laboratory they will be expected to support operations at the Windscale Laboratory.
The Main Responsibilities for the Technical Support officer are:
- Act as deputy for major key compliance roles including, but not exclusively: Plant Solid Waste Co-ordinator, PCM Coordinator, Stack Coordinator, Environmental Coordinator, and Liquid Effluent Co-ordinator
- Deputise for Technical Support Manager (Waste and Environment) as necessary
- Act as Facility Supervisor and Area Owner for the non-active laboratories in NNL’s Central Laboratory.
- Act as lead appointee in minor compliance roles including, but not exclusively: Dangerous Goods Despatching Officer, Radiation Protection Supervisor (Sources), CoSHH Co-ordinator (Responsible Officer), OU Movements Officer.
- Provide support to the operations of the Effluent Management Facility (EMF)
- Provide support to the Central Laboratory Emergency Response Teams (ACP/ICC)
- Check compliance of Safe Systems of Work procedures and report/initiate any necessary remedial action for their areas of responsibility
- Provide advice and guidance on issues appropriate to operational documentation and associated Safe Systems of Work
- Manage the Laboratory’s chemical inventory, database and associated procedures
- Ensure resources and equipment are available to support waste operations
- Task supervision of waste operations, as required.
- Conducts audits and observations to monitor standards and affect remedial action where necessary
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Technical Support Officer:
- Experience of working in an industrial environment
- Experience of safe systems of work and associated documentation.
- IOSH Working Safely or higher
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Technical Support Officer:
- Experience of the nuclear industry
- Knowledge of industrial waste issues and solutions
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.