NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you’ll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It’s a challenging role but it’s an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
Responsible for the successful delivery of project related work including the establishment of project execution strategies; management of cross-functional project teams, and the safe and secure delivery of project s through the project life cycle, to time, cost and quality to achieve customer satisfaction.
The main responsibilities for Project Manager will be:
- Maximise NNL’s performance against internal NNL & customer KPIs.
- Manage the interface with customers with respect to matters relating to potential new work opportunities, and the delivery of contracted work, ensuring that there are agreed communications and reporting methodologies in place.
- Engagement and management of a competent, effective and integrated Project Team, including management oversight , motivation and monitoring of the team’s performance; quality assurance; and addressing areas of under-performance.
- Inputting into the bid / sales process (for new work) as required, and assisting (when requested) in the preparation and coordination of NNL fee proposals and submissions.
- Provision of leadership; coaching, and support to other project team members as required.
- Management of the Client Satisfaction Survey (CSS) process (via the Customer Experience group); managing feedback and action to; and sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE).
- Delivery of projects in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals, and objectives compliant with all relevant Client, NNL, regulatory and legal assurance requirements.
- Development; maintenance, and management of Project Execution Procedures, and control documentation in line with the NNL ‘PMA project delivery framework’ to ensure that all work is delivered within approved project baseline; scope; cost; schedule, and quality constraints, and in a safe manner.
- Ensure adequate Health Safety & Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out, and that Nuclear Safety is not compromised.
- Preparation of relevant ‘health and safety’ related documentation for projects, and promote a health & safety aware culture.
- Establishment of clear and robust communications and meeting strategies to ensure effective communication across the project team and key stakeholders; implementing regular reviews and controls to monitor project progress.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential skills for the Project Manager:
- Project Management professional qualification (e.g. APMP, Diploma APMP, IPMA Level D) or working towards.
- Years experience in a Project Management/delivery role (ideally as a Project Manager).
- Demonstrable track record of successfully leading and delivering small-medium scale/reasonably complex projects.
- Experience of using typical project management tools, processes & software.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (incl. MS Work, Excel, Powerpoint & Project/EPM).
- Ability to utilize project scheduling software for the purposes of controlling and monitoring project works (e.g. MS Project, EPM, Primavera P6, etc.).
- Demonstrable financial acumen and experience of using financial monitoring & performance tools/processes.
- Experience of different contracting models, involving the management of commercial risks.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
- British citizen as defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 (British Nationality Act 1981 (legislation.gov.uk)). Please note if you hold a dual nationality, of which one nationality is British, you may still be considered but this is dependent on your dual nationality.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.