Operations and Technical Support Assistant
The job has expired.
Job Description for Operations and Technical Support Assistant:
NNL is where your understanding of reactors fuels the nation. As part of our Fuel Reactor & Reprocessing capability, you’ll play a vital role in developing the UK fuel cycle in line with advances in new technology and new processes. As old reactors reach the end of their lifespan, we need experts like you, with the technical skills to virtually model scenarios that not only enable us to explore new ways of managing the inputs and outputs of reactors, but also pave the way for the implementation of smaller, cleaner revolutionary new reactors. This is a place where you can use your knowledge and expertise to do long term meaningful work for years to come.
The Separation Science and Special Nuclear Materials team have a unique expertise and provides the key skills required to support the UK’s future nuclear programmes as well as playing an important role in several European collaborations. The team specialise in lab-scale, medium inventory experiments in reprocessing, isotopic separation and Pu Science.
NNL is looking for a an experienced laboratory operations technician with a background and understanding of chemistry to join a growing team and deliver an exciting programme of work for our customers. The successful candidates will be trained to work in our unique laboratories at the Central Laboratory at Sellafield and apply their knowledge to important projects. You will use a variety of analytical techniques including alpha spectrometry, gamma spectrometry and UV/vis/IR spectrometry. The role will require the individual to learn how to operate experiments in gloveboxes and fumehoods under highly regulated processes and secure Developed Vetting (DV) status.
Main Responsibilities for Operations and Technical Support Assistant:
- Provision of specified services to internal/external customers (Sellafield Limited, BEIS, AWE, RWM, Eu Collaborations) to agreed standards.
- Provide direct support to a manager or group of staff.
- Interpret instructions and produces good quality output, safely and to time.
- Provide technical information, checking validity and records within appropriate guidelines.
- As appropriate, participates in the preparation of technical reports and assessments within agreed timescales.
- Where appropriate, develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Work within budgetary limits.
- Ensures detailed work records are maintained in accordance with laid down procedures.
- Complies with legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Operations and Technical Support Assistant:
- A minimum of a HND in Chemistry.
- A proven aptitude for problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Knowledge of devising and delivering research and technical projects.
- Proficient in using software to analyse data.
- Demonstrable positive attitude to Health and Safety and working to instructions.
- Ability to obtain DV level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial, criminal record checks, interview plus 10 years of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Operations and Technical Support Assistant:
- Knowledge of the nuclear industry.
- Classified Person with DV security clearance.
- Experience of handling nuclear and radioactive materials.
- Experience in active fumehood and/or glovebox operations.
- Experience in Use of: Gamma spec, ICP, Alpha spec, titration, UVvis.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.