The job has expired.
Job Description for Statistician:
This is where your skills play a critical role in keeping everyone safe. Working in Safety, Security & Safeguards gives you the chance to make your mark on some hugely interesting projects. NNL does work that nobody else in the sector is doing, and this means we need experts like you to make it possible, whilst keeping everyone safe. We’re committed to using nuclear science to benefit society for years to come. This means that you can build a long and successful career here whilst playing a meaningful role in delivering cleaner energy, reducing waste and keeping colleagues and the public out of harm’s way.
We are looking for a qualified statistician who is passionate about understanding and communicating data simply. Our statistics team provide advice and support in the optimal use of available data through;
- Supporting scientists in statistical Design of Experiments and the application of sampling theory
- Supporting customers with the interpretation of data; through data analysis, empirical modelling and prediction
- Supporting decision makers to understand the uncertainty in their datasets for instance by underpinning assumptions through the application of probabilistic methods
You will need to be able to work independently and lead and support junior statisticians in the team.
The role is flexible and can be located at Workington or or Warrington.
Main Responsibilities for Statistician:
- Understand customer business requirements to ensure appropriate statistical approach is selected.
- Provide guidance to customers on data collection to enhance quality of analysis where appropriate.
- Design and deliver work packages defining the quality assurance approach to be followed.
- Communicate analysis through writing memos and reports and through presentations.
- Provide technical supervision and mentoring to junior team members.
- Maintain good working relationships with existing customers and develop relationships with new customers.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the NNL statistics capability providing support to the technical lead.
- Support the statistics communication of best practise.
- Ability to write procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Statistician
- Graduate qualification in statistics, or relevant experience.
- In-depth knowledge of univariate analysis (linear and non-linear regression), multivariate analysis, survival analysis, time-series analysis and experimental design methods (fractional factorial designs and response surface methods).
- Experience of applying statistical methods on customer work.
- Strong communication and organisational skills.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Statistician
- Masters or PhD in statistics
- Chartered statistician
- Knowledge and experience of machine learning techniques
- Production of journal papers/conference presentations
- Relevant industrial knowledge
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.