Assistant Project Manager
The job has expired.
Job Description for Assistant Project Manager:
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you’ll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It’s a challenging role but it’s an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
Responsible for the successful delivery of project related work including the establishment of project execution strategies; management of cross-functional project teams and the safe and secure delivery of project s through the project life cycle, to time, cost and quality to achieve customer satisfaction.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Workington, Risley or Sellafield.
Main Responsibilities for Assistant Project Manager:
- Proactive engagement in the development of proposals for new work / opportunities (working as part of a management team) for endorsement by investment committee.
- Gathering customer feedback and sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE)
- Provision of task related reporting to the Senior / Project Manager as required to provide regular updates on status, risks, opportunities and / or matters for escalation.
- Safe and secure delivery of task / project scope to budget and programme.
- Provision of project financial performance information including projected spends, actuals Vs planned, earned value, and estimate at complete out-turn costs.
- Management of project risks and risk mitigation through liaison with PMA Project Controls function.
- Ensuring adequate Health Safety and Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out.
- Maximise NNL’s performance against internal NNL and customer KPIs.
- Effective control and management of change within the project.
- Support the Project Manager(s) with regards to capturing of minutes, key actions, updates, and following up on key issues on their behalf and as required.
- Delivery of projects in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals, and objectives compliant with all relevant Client, NNL, regulatory and legal assurance requirements.
- Ensure adequate Health Safety and Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out, and that Nuclear Safety is not compromised, whilst promoting a health and safety aware culture.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Assistant Project Manager:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work independently as well as part of an effective team
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – articulate and diplomatic manner
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Resilient to coping with conflicting demands, able to prioritise duties and work under pressure
- Ability to think analytically with some level of commercial / financial awareness.
- Knowledge of (or experienced in the use of) typical IT based project reporting; planning and tracking software packages, e.g. Microsoft Office / Project / Visio.
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility
- Good understanding of project delivery fundamentals, e.g. APM project management methodologies, etc.
- Demonstrate experience of successfully delivering tasks / projects of low complexity and risk, and in the value range £0-£100,000, to a defined scopes and/or set of objectives.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Assistant Project Manager:
- Demonstration of safe track record in delivery and achieve accreditation in NNL IOSH working Safely.
- Experience of implementation in a Project, Programme or Work Package delivery situation.
- Hold Foundation or Intermediate level Project Management professional qualification (ie. Diploma APM, IPMA Level D).
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.