Senior Project Controller
Accountable for leading the local office team (or part of) responsible for the provision of Project Controls support services to Project Managers on relevant NNL projects, programmes and/or portfolios. This will include providing general leadership; mentoring and coaching to the local Project Controllers within your team; providing input into development of project plans & associated WBSs, and support to projects on matters including cost estimating, performance data analysis, risk management and project reporting, including earned value (EV).
1. Line management responsibility for the local Project Controls team, providing day-to-day leadership, mentoring and support as required ensuring that the PC services are effectively discharged.
2. Responsibility for the monitoring of performance of the local Project Controls team, and the management of issues arising; non-conformances, and behavioural issues, as required, to maintain a cohesive delivery team.
3. Develop, embed, and the correct behaviours across the PC team to maintain an effective Project Controls service to the NNL PM community.
4. Oversee, motivate, and monitor the performance of the Project Controls team, identifying capability requirements for team development and progression, addressing any performance gaps and supporting redeployment of direct reports in line with the business needs.
5. Actively contribute to the continuous improvement of functional quality and performance of the Project Controls team, including leading on personnel development matters and the improvement of relevant PC processes, tools and systems.
6. Attendance at, and provision of input into, Project Management Office (PMO) senior level review meetings (as required), and support the Senior Project Controls lead on functional level quality improvement initiatives.
7. Ensure that all deliverables and day-to-day activities conducted by the local Project Controls team are conducted in line with the relevant Project Controls frameworks, systems, processes and procedures.
8. Facilitation of Risk Reviews / workshops as required, assisting Project Managers with the discharging of their duties; leading and guiding the project risk assessment process (where requested), and taking responsibility for risk management systems and output reporting (as required by projects).
9. Ensure the generation of fully detailed project forecast cost estimates, work breakdown structures (WBS), and ‘quantity tracking’ tools / mechanisms, on higher complexity / risk projects (project classifications 3 & 4) to ensure safe and successful delivery within a robust project controls framework.
10. Implement effective project control techniques (in line with best practice), including where appropriate monitoring of ‘earned value’; cost and schedule variance; estimates at completion (EACs); critical path analysis, and risk, to deliver projects effectively.
11. Prepare, monitor and forecast expenditure profiles and provide accruals where needed.
12. Prepare cost and progress reports, including earned value analysis, identifying critical areas and trends and recommend recovery options; ensuring the accuracy of data.
13. Senior lead Project Controls representative on high classification project providing he central point of contact for all cost, risk and programme; projects health, and change / variation control matters, providing regular reports on status to the accountable Project Manager (as required).
The Ideal Candidate
· Demonstrable experience of team leadership / management, and performance management.
· 5+ years’ demonstrable experience of successfully delivering Project Controls services on complex projects/programmes/portfolios.
· A relevant qualification associated with one of the cost engineering / project controls professional bodies, e.g. AACE, APM, APMG International, ACostE, ECITB, and PMI
· Appropriate level of analytical skills for grade.
· Demonstrable experience of leading PC services on project related work, and ideally across a number of projects simultaneously / large programmes of work.
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project / EPM, along with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (or other Project Controls software / systems).
· Demonstrable knowledge of & experience of using Earned Value Management (EVM) tools & techniques to control the progress and resourcing of projects.
· Demonstrable knowledge of change control systems and methodologies.
· Experience of delivering PC services in a complex technical / engineering environment. (Ideal but not essential).
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials