Senior Process Design Engineer
The job has expired.
The National Nuclear Laboratory is a Government-owned company run on a commercial basis, providing expert advice and technical services to the nuclear industry and to government.
NNL is in the process of a full business transformation programme, and we are inviting more specialists from diverse career paths to join us.
Our Vision: world-leading nuclear expertise and innovative solutions
Our Purpose: to serve the national interest and create value for our customers, by pushing the boundaries of science, technology and innovation.
We need talented people to support us in fulfilling our purpose and moving us towards our vision.
The Engineering Design Team provides engineering design support across NNL and in the wider nuclear industry. We cover all aspects of engineering design such as optioneering studies, concept design, detail design, manufacturing, testing and installation. Our expertise includes the supply of active research and development rigs and analytical equipment, and the modification of existing nuclear process plant.
The role of the Senior Process Design Engineer is to provide engineering and scientific support to:-
- The design, build, testing, development, commissioning and on-site installation of active rigs and analytical equipment to support scientific research and development work in the nuclear industry.
- The modifications of existing active and non-active nuclear facilities (e.g. for upgrades, changes in feeds or process requirements).
- The troubleshooting of existing nuclear equipment and plant as required.
- To perform concept designs, strategic optioneering and ad-hoc research to client specifications, collating results, analysing data and generation of technical reports.
- The innovative development of engineered solutions from concept through to installation on active and non-active plants for NNL or Customer facilities.
- Liaising with safety assessors, facilities personnel, project stakeholders and other scientific/engineering disciplines as required to provide fit for purpose engineered solutions.
- The supervision of small engineering teams to deliver engineering work packages.
- Undertaking calculations to support / underpin the design and authoring technical reports and design memos.
- Undertake the checking of engineering work performed by others.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on issues appropriate to their working area.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
- Liaise with project managers to ensure that work is delivered to meet time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Demonstrable experience in dealing with supply chain from scoping requirements and authoring procurement specification through to overseeing contract delivery
- Initiation and progression of the procurement process, including liaison with suppliers and manufacturers, through delivery and inspection.
- Active involvement in improvement projects/initiatives.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field and applying to designated work packages
- Provision of technical supervision for technician and craft personnel.
- Provide coaching to develop the skills and abilities of others
- Requirement to travel is expected, between NNL locations and customer locations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or closely related subject relevant experience.
- Knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, quality and environmental requirements relating to engineering development projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, such that difficult concepts can be conveyed clearly and concisely to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
- Evidence of problem solving and seeking solutions.
- Chartered Engineer
- Good knowledge of nuclear industry and plant operations.
- Good presentation skills.
- Strong and supportive team player.
- Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
- Questioning attitude.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials