PIE Capability Leader
An exciting opportunity has become available within our Fuel, Reactors and Reprocessing business area to lead the functional area, maximising the potential of the capabilities within, including people, facilities, and equipment. The successful candidate will ensure a clear line of sight of all safety responsibility and the availability of 'ready for service' resource to support the delivery. You will maintain strong working relationships with the customer and all touch points throughout the organisation.
ACCOUNTABILTIES (inc. responsibilities, authority, decisions)
1. EHSS&Q Accountabilities:
The Capability Leader will be accountable for EHSS&Q within their function:
- Duty of care for all staff identified
- Ownership and safe operations of equipment and facilities
- Delivery of projects, programs and technical work
- Development of the improvement plan
2. Capability Accountabilities:
The Capability Leader will be accountable for all resources within their function:
- Staff: Leadership, performance, SQEP, development, technical training, progression, recruitment
- Facilities & Equipment: maintenance, renewal, disposal, repair, inspection, access and utilisation
- Leads on customer delivery, excelling in delivering customer value and building a customer-centric culture.
3. Budget Control Accountabilities:
The Capability Leader will be accountable for all budgetary control associated with their function:
- Staff costs including, recruitment, training, progression, T&S, R&R
- Facilities & Equipment costs maintenance, renewal, disposal, repair, inspection, access and utilisation
4. Customer Delivery Accountabilities:
The Capability Leader will be accountable for all customer delivery associated with their function:
- Customer engagement to maximise all business opportunities
- Technical excellence in customer delivery
- Technical resolution
5. Leadership Accountabilities:
The Capability Leader will be accountable for cultural and business strategies associated with their function:
- Development of the function in line with business requirements and recognising technical advancements
- Quality of science and customer delivery
- People performance, development and cultural change
1. All KPI’s, metrics, communications, data, for operating the capabilities including: EHSS&Q, cost, delivery, facilities, equipment and resources are delivered in accordance with targets.
2. Safety Management:
- Ensure that all duty of care requirements to allow all work to be undertaken are established.
- That reviews, assessments and audits are undertaken to monitor all aspects of EHSS&Q
- Development and implementation of the EHSSQ improvement plan
3. Management of a resourcing and asset system including:
- Oversight of resources, equipment and facilities allocation across their capability, to ensure that all resources are fully engaged, managed and developed such that the capabilities and effectiveness is maximised
- Identify SQEP and ready to use resources, equipment and facilities always providing highly skilled resources and experience.
- Ensure all equipment and facilities are fit for purpose and operable for project and customer work
4. Management of functional area budgetary controls for:
- Staff – training, development, SQEP, recruitment/retirement, progression T&S, conference, lease/hire cars, industrial membership, Sickness/maternity/paternity, reward & recognition
- Equipment and Facilities – Maintenance, consumables, repair, disposal, replacement, software licenses,
- Risk, compliance and governance in a project and delivery orientated environment.
- Driving continuous improvement of their Capability area
5. Management of People:
- Lead and drive the functional area performance of its people
- People development, training, SQEP, secondment
- Performance Management including disciplinary, grievance, reward and recognition
- Duty of care for all health and safety, maternity, sickness, paternity…etc.
6. Customer Experience:
- Engagement with customers related to functional area to ensure good customer experience and respond to opportunities, risks, issues etc.
- Maximise value, develop opportunities and increase growth
- Provide customer experience and knowledge back to CE and projects
- Forecasting growth and sales funnel
- Keeping pace with key industry technological developments and feedback to customer and internal teams
The Ideal Candidate
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE – e.g. technical skills
1. Technical understanding across all aspects of post irradiation evaluation (PIE). Experience and expertise in relation to PIE skills and techniques.
2. Experience in managing a number of technical capabilities, people, facilities and equipment across nuclear and non-nuclear sites.
3. Experience in developing relationships with customer’s related to technical capability offerings and support delivery of their projects.
4. Experience in managing million £ budget, cost control, financial forecasting and planning across a capability.
5. Operational experience in highly regularised environment, managing technical and facility programmes to a high EHSS&Q standard. Whilst managing changing and competing priorities and absorbing new information rapidly to address complex issues.
6. Experience in leadership and driving cultural change through the support in and implementation of strategic business developments.
7. A degree and/or a relevant demonstrable level of experience.
8. Technical knowledge of the capability area and nuclear related experience would be advantageous.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS – e.g. technical skills
1. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to engage stakeholders and build strong collaborative relationships
2. Demonstrable ability in negotiation and meeting client requirements
3. Acts as a role model to NNL’s values and behaviours
4. Proven ability to lead and inspire others to achieve goals
5. Strong business and commercial acumen
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials