Safety Case Advisor
A safety case defines how all major radiological, criticality, conventional and chemotoxic hazards are managed/controlled within a facility. It defines the boundaries of NNL's operations and is key in demonstrating compliance with site licence conditions. The safety case is continually reviewed and refined and updated to support new operations and facility infrastructure upgrades.
The role of the Safety Case Advisor is to support, and deputise for, the Safety Case Manager to manage the live safety case in line with our customers site procedures. This will include, preparation, delivery, implementation of safety case-related documents and provision of advice to support existing and future work requirements.
NNL is looking for a candidate to undertake a responsible safety case position to support operations within the site facilities. Applications are anticipated from individuals with scientific, engineering, environmental or safety specialist backgrounds.
The duties of the Safety Case Advisor involve, but are not limited to:
- Supporting, and deputising for, the Safety Case Manager in managing the safety case in line with site licence requirements.
- Supporting the Safety Case Manager in implementing enhancements to the safety case, e.g. improving the visibility and accessibility of the SC and enhancing the operational flexibility.
- Preparation of documentation in support of safety case implementation activities; Clearance Certificates (CC), Safety Case Implementation Plans (SCIP), compliance documentation, etc.
- Preparation & delivery of training and briefing material relating to safety case implementation to affected personnel.
- Update of the live safety case & index of change documents.
- Liaison with external stakeholders, e.g. Operations Control Management team, ONR.
- Liaison with internal stakeholders, e.g. design and plant engineering, operations, safety assessment and other specialists to ensure the safety case remains fit for purpose and meets the facility’s needs
- Preparation and management of Plant Modification Proposals (PMP).
- Presentation of safety assessments at PMP and Management Safety Committees as required.
- Provision of advice to NNL personnel on scope of/compliance with the live safety case.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- Previous experience of working closely with safety cases, e.g. production or management of safety cases.
- Understanding of processes as with the approval, implementation and maintenance of safety cases.
- Knowledge of how safety controls are implemented on plant.
- Good communication skills (both written & oral).
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing