Safety Case Manager
A safety case defines how all major radiological, criticality, conventional and chemotoxic hazards are managed/controlled. It defines the boundaries of NNL's operations and is key in demonstrating compliance with site licence conditions. The safety case is continually reviewed and refined and updated to support new operations facility infrastructure upgrades.
The role of the Safety Case Manager is to manage the live safety case in line with nuclear site licence conditions. The Safety Case Manager is responsible for ensuring that the safety case is developed appropriately to support existing and future work requirements.
NNL is looking for a candidate to undertake a responsible safety case position. Applications are anticipated from individuals with scientific, engineering, environmental or safety specialist backgrounds. This is a good opportunity for career development.
The duties of the Safety Case Manager involve, but are not limited to:
- Management of the safety case.
- Periodic review of the safety case
- Development and management of safety case and hazard management strategies to support evolution of the safety case in line with new projects and/or improvements.
- Ensuring the live safety case & index of change documents are accurate and up to date.
- Liaison with external stakeholders, e.g. Operations Control Management team, ONR.
- Liaison with internal stakeholders, e.g. design and plant engineering, operations, safety assessment and other specialists to ensure the safety case remains fit for purpose and meets the facility’s needs
- Preparation of Clearance Certificates and compliance documentation.
- Preparation and management of Plant Modification Proposals (PMP).
- Presentation of safety assessments at PMP and Management Safety Committees as required.
- Preparation & delivery of training briefing material relating to safety case implementation to relevant personnel,
- Provision of advice to NNL personnel on scope of/compliance with the live safety case.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills & Qualifications
- Previous experience of working closely with safety cases, e.g. production or management of safety cases.
- Understanding of site licence conditions pertinent to safety cases
- Understanding of processes associated with the approval, implementation and maintenance of safety cases
- Knowledge of how safety controls are implemented through equipment and instructions.
- Knowledge of the configuration control of plant and processes.
- Good communication skills (both written & oral).
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Knowledge of NNL plants and operations.
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation.
- Degree or HNC in science/engineering discipline
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.