The NNL is transforming the way in which IT will be delivered and is looking to create a customer facing, technology focused team that is well positioned to meet the changing requirements of the business.
Data, information and reporting is critical to a knowledge driven organisation such as NNL and the Applications Architect will play a key role in building and managing our new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).
The Applications Architect will be an expert in all the EDW components, infrastructure and their integration. In addition, they will ensure that the EDW and business intelligence technologies deliver the information that is critical to the business, at the right time.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the Applications Architect to develop this function from the ground up. BI is a key enabler for NNL, and the Applications Architect will be critical in supporting the business to meet its objectives.
The Applications Architect will be responsible for:
- Designing and the implementation of a new EDW for the NNL;
- Overall management and maintenance of the EDW including both the infrastructure and technology platform;
- Designing the technology infrastructure and integrations across the EDW technical environments;
- Leading the testing of data design, tool design, data extracts, networks and hardware selections for the EDW;
- Collaborating with the business and enterprise architects to understand the implications of respective architectures and maximise the value of information across the organisation;
- Developing and maintains complex models and logical database designs;
- Validating data integrity at various levels of starting from source data through the end user reports;
- Building and managing the EDW disaster recovery and backup plan;
- Supporting the Enterprise Architect or where required take the lead in understanding the architecture of business applications within NNL. This will include the data and information flow, how they interact and how they map to business functions and enable capabilities.
- Eliciting requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis and task and workflow analysis;
- Translating non-technical requirements into technical business requirements; and
- Designing, developing, and maintaining reports and analytical tools.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Experience:
The Applications Architect will have:
- Eligibility of security clearance to SC and be a UK national;
- Proven of experience in EDW architectures, ETL, analytical tools and reporting;
- Experience in drawing insights from structured and unstructured information;
- Problem solving skills using a range of sources and methods to get to the root cause;
- Excellent communication, customer handling and inter-personal skills, via phone, IM, face to face and other remote access methods;
- Ability to organise and prioritise own work to meet deadlines; and
- Strength in information systems design and information visualization techniques.
The Applications Architect will have technical experience in:
- Microsoft Business Intelligence stack including, SSRS, SSIS and SSAS;
- Database technologies including Microsoft SQL, (other technologies advantageous);
- PowerBI and other visualization tools such as QlikView;
- Microsoft R and Azure Data Warehouse experience is desirable;
- Relational and star schema data modelling concepts; and
- Directory Services (AD, AAD, LDAP).
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials