Corrosion and Plant Chemistry Capability Manager
NNL is looking for a high calibre, motivated and experienced individual to manage the Corrosion and Plant Chemistry team based across two sites, Sellafield (Cumbria) and Stonehouse (Gloucestershire). Whilst this role is based in Cumbria travel to Stonehouse will be required. The team is part of the Fuels, Reactors and Recycling capability within NNL which delivers commercial R&D to help solve a wide range of corrosion-based challenges in the nuclear industry and has a long history of successful delivery of work programmes to an exceptional standard. The group supports strategic programmes across the industry, as well as provide advice on strategic UK issues. Much of the work directly supports plant operation and lifetime extension. The team provides focused solutions to emerging materials degradation problems facing the Sellafield site using state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. The team has access to unique facilities and expertise both within our organisations and within NNL’s wider supply chain. The multi-site nature of the team and the hands-on work undertaken at Sellafield makes this role high priority to ensure appropriate management and supervision is in place.
To manage the technical team successfully the suitable candidate must:
- have the ability to maximise the team’s potential.
- ensures clear line of sight of all safety responsibility and the availability of resource to support delivery.
Maintain strong work relationships with the customers and all touch points throughout the organisation.
1. EHSS&Q Accountabilities:
The Capability Manager (CM) will be accountable for EHSS&Q within their team:
• Duty of care for all staff identified
• Ownership and safe operations of equipment and facilities
• Delivery of projects, programs and technical work
• Delivery of the EHSS&Q Improvement and Assurance Plan
2. Capability Accountabilities:
The CM will be accountable for all resources within their team:
• Staff: Leadership, performance, SQEP, development, technical training, progression and recruitment
• Facilities & Equipment: maintenance, renewal, disposal, repair, inspection, access and utilisation
• Leads on customer delivery, exceling in delivering customer value and building a customer-centric culture
3. Budget Control Accountabilities:
The CM will support the Capability Leader for all budgetary control associated with their team and will be measured against budget control through KPI’s:
• Staff costs including, recruitment, training, progression, T&S. R&R
• Facilities & Equipment costs maintenance, renewal, disposal, repair, inspection, access and utilisation
4. Customer Delivery Accountabilities:
The CM will be accountable for all customer delivery associated with their team:
• Work with Account Director to engage with customer to maximise all business opportunities
• Technical excellence in customer delivery
• Technical resolution
5. Leadership Accountabilities:
The CM will be accountable for cultural and business strategies associated with their team:
• Development of the team in line with business requirements and recognising technical advancements
• Quality of science and customer delivery
• People performance, development and cultural change
The Ideal Candidate
- A directly relevant science degree (e.g. chemistry, materials, mathematics or physics) or an equivalent level of relevant experience.
- Positive attitude to learning and supporting the wider development of the team
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials