NNL are pleased to provide a vacancy for a Chemist to support the Effluents and Environmental Chemistry Team. The role will support the provision of nuclear decommissioning and environmental clean-up services with an emphasis on nuclear effluent abatement processes.
The role will provide the opportunity to work closely with leading experts within NNL and contribute to a wide range of key decommissioning programmes as well as wider environmental remediation activities both in the UK and internationally. The available role is laboratory-based and will involve working closely with Technical Leads and will also require interaction with a range of internal and external customers. Key day-to-day tasks in support of customer funded projects will include conducting laboratory-based experiments, collecting experimental data, reporting and the provision of recommendations based on findings. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on internally funded R&D projects, author journal publications and contribute towards knowledge exchange activities within the wider nuclear industry.
The successful candidate should have a PhD in chemistry, radiochemistry or environmental radiochemistry (or allied subject) and have significant experience of working within a laboratory-based environment (prior experience of conducting active-experimental work would be particularly beneficial).
- Conduct a range of active and non-active experimental work.
- Collect, analyse and interpret experimental data including modelling of data (chemical and process modelling).
- Experimental write-up and data reporting.
- Development of experimental work programmes.
- Interfacing with customers.
- Interface with in-house and external analytical laboratories.
- Work closely with in-house engineering and environmental chemistry teams.
- Work alongside project/programme managers and customers to ensure that work is delivered to time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Provide support to develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Ensure all relevant safety rules and procedures are applied.
- Support the team to meet objectives.
The Ideal Candidate
- Post-graduate qualification (PhD) in relevant field e.g. chemistry, radiochemistry or environmental radiochemistry.
- The ability to discharge a predominantly laboratory-based role.
- The ability to effectively mentor and coach junior colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Evidence of ability to plan and deliver work.
- Flexibility in dealing with changing workloads.
- Familiarity with abatement plant and /or environmental remediation technology.
- Previous experience of conducting active laboratory-based work.
- Experience in the management of research programmes.
- Familiarity with techniques for the analysis of water and wastewater.
- Membership of a professional Institute.
- Experience in the management of small teams.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials