Mechanical Design Engineer
The Engineering Design Team require further design resource over the next 12 months to deliver a new and exciting programme of work within NNL facilities as part of the government funded Advanced Fuel Cycle Programme (AFCP).
The Engineering Design Team provides engineering design support across NNL and in the wider nuclear industry. We cover all aspects of engineering design such as optioneering studies, concept design, detail design, manufacturing, testing and installation. Our expertise includes the supply of active research and development rigs and analytical equipment, and the modification of existing nuclear process plant.
The role of the Mechanical Design Engineer is to provide engineering and scientific support to the design, build, testing, development, commissioning and on-site installation of active rigs and analytical equipment to support scientific research and development work in the nuclear industry.
- The innovative development of engineered solutions from concept through to installation on active plants.
- Liaising with safety assessors, facilities personnel, project stakeholders and other scientific/engineering disciplines as required to provide fit for purpose engineered solutions.
- Undertaking calculations to support / underpin the design and authoring technical reports and design memos.
- Undertake the checking of engineering work performed by others.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
- Provision of technical supervision for technician and craft personnel.
- Requirement to travel is expected, between NNL locations and customer locations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related subject or a comparable level of experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, such that difficult concepts can be conveyed clearly and concisely to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
- Evidence of problem solving and seeking solutions.
- Good knowledge of nuclear industry and plant operations.
- Knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, quality and environmental requirements relating to engineering development projects.
- Competency in AutoCAD / Inventor
- Strong and supportive team player.
- Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
- Questioning attitude.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials