Structural Finite Element Analyst
The job has expired.
NNL are looking to expand our existing team of engineers who perform structural analysis work to support our clients in the civil nuclear power industry.
The successful candidate will be required to carry out a wide range of structural integrity assessments using commercial finite element codes. This will include Fitness for Service, Fracture Mechanics and Remnant Life Assessments to appropriate British, American or European design codes.
The individual will be expected to manage all aspects of a technical project, which includes project delivery, commercial awareness and management of project staff. This role is client-facing so it is essential that applicants are able to demonstrate willingness and an ability to work directly with client engineers.
- Structural Integrity assessments of new and existing nuclear plant and equipment
- Numerical modelling and the use of commercially available Finite Element codes
- Assessments to ASME III and relevant British Standards such as BS7910
- Presentation of results to customers
- Ability to think laterally to solve complex technical problems
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- Suitable candidates will possess a good degree in Engineering, Maths or Physics and will have a
- strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles;
- Experience of linear and non-linear Finite Element Analysis using ANSYS, ABAQUS, LS-DYNA or
- Experience of undertaking Structural Integrity assessments of safety critical structures/components to British, European or American design codes, such as ASME III;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to interface on a technical level with client engineers and stakeholders.
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Post-graduate qualification (MSc or PhD) in a relevant field is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with Fracture Mechanics, Life Assessment, Damage Tolerance Assessments, and Fitness for Service Assessments using R5, R6, BS7910 or API-579;
- Familiarity with IAEA Transport Regulations.
- Familiarity with performing thermal assessments using finite element codes.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.