Experimental Rig Operator
The job has expired.
NNL have a vacancy for a Chemical Engineer/Chemist/Process Chemist to support the Effluents and Environmental Chemistry team in the provision of nuclear decommissioning and environmental clean-up services with an emphasis on effluent abatement processes.
The position provides an ideal opportunity to gain insight and experience in the nuclear industry and work with experienced engineers and chemists. Applicants will have a key hands-on role participating in the operation of a range of non-radioactive pilot scale rigs and providing technical support to experimental projects in our non-active facilities.
- The operation of pilot/concept rigs (sand bed filters, chemical precipitation, ultrafiltration) including troubleshooting.
- Carry out laboratory experiments and analysis in support of the rig programmes.
- Analyse and interpret experimental data from laboratory experiments and rig operations.
- Experimental write-up and data reporting.
- Interface with in-house and external analytical laboratories resources.
- Preparation of safety paperwork
- Interfacing with Customers
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- PhD in relevant field e.g. remediation, effluent, water or waste treatment technologies; or.
- Postgraduate qualification (MSc) in chemical engineering/ process engineering/process chemistry/chemistry, or allied subject, applicable to environmental abatement plants/techniques or remediation technology with relevant experience in an operational R&D role in an environmental industry or related field e.g. design, development and / or scale-up of treatment processes for solid and liquid waste/effluents.
- Good problem solving, analytical thinking, decision making and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in MS Office.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Abatement plant and /or environmental remediation technology.
- Familiarity with techniques for the analysis of water and wastewater.
- Familiarity with control and instrumentation systems.
- Keen interest in effluent treatment technologies.
- Chemical modelling experience e.g use of PhreeqC
- Member of professional organisation.
- Full clean driver’s license and willing to travel occasionally.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.