Principal Design Engineer
The job has expired.
To lead a team of discipline engineers in the definition, implementation and delivery of specified work that achieves safety, functional and business requirements. To personally undertake some of the more complex design tasks as required. To provide specialist engineering advice in his/her discipline.
Close working relationships with other NNL sites is required which necessitates regular travel to those sites (dependent upon project).
Use of sub-contractors to deliver large design packages under supervision of a senior engineer is a normal requirement.
Must be able to adopt the ‘Lead Engineer’ role on projects where the majority of the work is within their discipline.
To the Engineering Manager for:
- ensure fit for purpose solutions meet agreed performance demands and documents define and preserve the design intent and are organised and align with the overall plant configuration.
- Ensuring project reports and deliverables are completed to agreed standards of safety, cost, quality and time.
- Ensure LFE is captured, disseminated and utilised.
- Provide complex specialist advice and guidance engineering services to multi-Site projects and internal/external customers.
- Lead the knowledge transfer and use of new technology developments.
- ensure that design, construction and commissioning solutions are fit for purpose, integrated & optimised, affordable and meet functional specification and execution plan.
To the Discipline Lead Engineer for:
- ensure competent, SQEP people are deployed in functional work, defining and supporting training requirements of engineering team.
- Lead in the development and application of multi discipline/multi-Site technical and managerial processes and systems.
- Responsible for leading engineering deliverables Technical direction to deliver success.
- Work across multi disciplines and customer to identify and resolve major Technical uncertainties
To Head of Engineering for:
- ensure appropriate and adequate design standards and practices are deployed and deliverables and solutions generated are safe, legal and adequately underpinned.
- ensure all necessary documentation is generated to meet safety and legal requirements that enable receipt on nuclear licensed site, installation, commissioning and taking into service of plant and equipment.
- • ensuring subject matter experts are appropriately and adequately engaged in a timely
Authorities & Dimensions:
• Works within financial delegations.
• Leads functional assurance reviews.
• Lead preparation, checking and approval of functional design deliverables to competent persons or groups.
• Approves the cost estimate and schedule for functional areas of responsibility.
• Prioritisation and allocation of work assignments for team and production of design deliverables.
The Ideal Candidate
Extensive experience in engineering. In addition, will have extensive recent experience working in regulated and quality assured systems in (preferably nuclear) roles where engineering judgement is a key attribute.
Will have a high level of competency in the following areas:
- Knowledge of national and international codes, specifications and standards
- Delivering Engineering Solutions.
- Managing engineering processes.
- Delivering Quality
- Management of Safety.
- Engineering Planning.
- Cost Estimating
- Managing Suppliers & Contractors
- Managing Projects
- Knowledge of management systems
- Knowledge and interpretation of regulatory requirements
(min 2:2) in relevant engineering discipline with demonstrable design office experience
Preferred – MEng (Hons) Or Minimum – HNC typically gained through apprenticeship) with demonstrable design office experience.
Minimum – Incorporated Engineer.
Preferred – Chartered Engineer and Fellow
NOTE: For both levels of registration, equivalent experience can be offered in lieu if it is deemed appropriate
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials