Support Senior and Principal Materials Scientists, and lead work packages associated with their technical expertise, to develop mechanistic understanding of materials performance issues. This role supports UK and international customers e.g. Rolls-Royce, EdF and EPRI, providing evidence in support of plant safety cases.
•Working flexibly as part of a specialist team to solve materials and chemistry related challenges to a wide range of UK and international customers.
•Lead and deliver internal and external customer projects to time, in budget, and to required environmental, health, safety and quality (EHSS&Q) standards.
•Performing experiments to develop mechanistic understanding of materials performance in nuclear materials e.g. Radiation damage of RPV steels, Zirconium alloy corrosion.
•Application of experimental techniques in support of customer work, making use of facilities both within, and external to, NNL.
•Authorship, checking and approval of technical documents (calculations notes, technical memos, technical reports and open literature journal articles).
•Presenting work performed to customers, at project meetings and at international conferences.
•Development and maintenance of strong customer delivery links.
•Ad-hoc problem solving to resolve day to day technical challenges that emerge.
•Engaging with technical experts across NNL, looking to support their work and vice-versa.
•Contributions to proposals for both internally funded (Core Science) and customer funded work.
The Ideal Candidate
• A directly relevant PhD-level science degree (e.g. materials, physics or chemistry) or an equivalent level of relevant experience.
• Demonstrable experience, post PhD degree, in understanding materials performance.
• Experience using a range of microstructural techniques and/or modelling of microstructural and micro-chemical processes.
• A track record of applying academically acquired knowledge in practical applications
• Proven experience of writing high quality technical reports/journal articles
• Excellent communication and team working skills.
• Positive attitude to learning and supporting the wider development of the team
• A proven ability to safely deliver complex R&D projects.
• Demonstration of a positive attitude to safety, security and other EHSS&Q requirements.
• A pro-active and flexible approach to customer support and project delivery in making sure that requirements and expectations are met or exceeded.
• Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team environment as well as independently
• Understanding of fundamental metallurgy.
• A Chartered Scientist or Engineer in a relevant discipline.
• A good understanding of the NNL business, its role in the nuclear industry and the challenges it is likely to face in the future.
• Experience of applying multiple characterisation techniques to solving materials challenges
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.