Lab Technician (x2)
To provide analytical assistance in the M&A laboratories at Preston, for both internal and external customers and maintain the efficiency and capability in the M&A team by replacing two members of the team recently lost, with additional team members who relish variety and can adapt quickly and multi-task.
• Conducting analytical/radiochemical methods in the Measurement & Analysis Laboratories at Preston.
• To carry out a wide range of analysis techniques including column separations, electrodeposition, liquid scintillation counting, gamma spectrometry and alpha spectroscopy on a day to day basis.
• Preparation of reagents and standards required for the laboratory activities.
• Calculation of results and interpretation of data.
• Assisting with the production of technical reports and memos.
• Assisting with development of new techniques and method development.
• Receipt of samples and compliance with sample handling procedures in the laboratory.
• Assisting with the arrangement and transport of samples to and from the laboratory.
• Sample disposal and assisting with the return of samples to the site of origin.
• Assisting with the disposal of organic and solid waste.
• To ensure efficient and quality delivery to the customer and to help the team meet its financial and EHSS&Q targets and maintain and expand UKAS accreditation.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Experience:
• Qualification in Chemistry/relevant discipline or experience.
• Experience working in a commercial laboratory.
• Experience working to UKAS accreditation quality standards or equivalent.
• Experience of radiochemical techniques and separation methods is desirable.
• Commitment to meeting stretching targets and deadlines.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Adaptable to change in demands and priorities.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.