Radiological Safety Consultant
Provide a lead role in the delivery of technical projects in the Radiological area of the Safety, Security and Safeguards team to time, cost and quality.
Enhance own technical skills within the Radiological area, support development of junior team member's skills and capabilities, and support the development of NNL's national reputation in the Radiological Safety area.
Authorities & Dimensions:
Authorities: None identified.
Dimensions: This role has no line management responsibilities. However, the role will involve mentoring and supervision of junior members of the team.
Job Context & Challenges:
The role requires the application of radiological safety knowledge and expertise to advise and support the safe storage, processing and transport of nuclear material. The role requires building excellent relationships with mutual trust to demonstrate a collaborative approach with the customer/facility to ensure safety, whilst maintaining a high level of integrity.
• Provide expert knowledge of Radiological safety assessment including being up to date with developments in methodology and approach.
• Technical delivery of projects in the Radiological area to time, cost, quality, value and service requirements, including:
- supervision of junior members of the team and potentially other consultants
- management of relationships with Laboratory Manager, Projects/PMA, Compliance, other safety and security disciplines, Operations Control Manager and other designated safety roles
- advice, training and independent inspection
• Provide Radiological safety assessment support to multi-disciplinary teams.
• Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders (including customers and regulators) to effect successful delivery of projects.
• Identify and develop new opportunities for the team.
• Development of new capabilities through innovative approaches and providing insight.
• Maintain technical awareness of both NNL and external competitors’ capabilities within the safety assessment area.
• Supporting the development of team SQEP in Radiological safety assessment. Deliver specialist safety assessment training.
• Membership of relevant national industry groups to represent NNL.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Experience:
• Degree qualified or equivalent level of demonstrable technical capability.
• SQEP 3 with extensive demonstrable experience in radiological safety assessment.
• Preferably Chartered Membership of a professional institution.
• Good level of knowledge in the specialised field of radiological safety assessment. Some knowledge of advanced techniques
• Proven ability to act independently under own initiative, while assisting other members of the team
• Strong communication skills, including multi-site working.
• Strong team working skills, with ability to influence the team.
• Mentoring and developing the technical skills of junior members of the team.
• Good networking skills, maintaining networks in NNL and externally.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.