Assistant Project Manager (EDF Capex Support)
A new post has been created to provide Project Management support for NNL’s ongoing EDF reactor support programme. This programme, which is delivered predominantly from NNL’s Windscale facility, has been running for over a decade and has recently entered a new five-year contract phase. The programme encompasses several workstreams each delivering essential services to EDF to support ongoing safe operation of the UK AGR reactor fleet.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the delivery of a range of Capex funded projects intended to provide new equipment and capability to support EDF work. The role involves working closely with EDF Customer Workstream lead, project technical staff, engineering team and facility commissioning team, and covers all phases of the project lifecycle:
- Development of requirements
- Support to development of business cases to secure CAPEX funding
- Safety permissioning
- Management of subcontractors
- Installation and commissioning
- Handover to operations
The work is varied and rewarding and provides a good opportunity to gain experience of operations and project delivery within a unique world-leading nuclear facility.
The main responsibilities for the Assistant Project Manager will be:
Taking direction from the EDF Customer Workstream lead:
- Ensure that all Capex projects are approved, mobilized, delivered, and demobilized in accordance with PMA IMS procedures.
- Deliver EDF supporting Capex Projects to the required priorities, to cost, and in a timely manner. The expectation is that a number of these projects will be delivered in parallel.
- Work with the Windscale facility planning team to ensure all operations are coordinated alongside other work on the facility.
- Manage projects to ensure Quality is delivered at all times.
- Manage all projects to ensure they are delivered safely at all times.
Report project performance to the EDF Customer Workstream Lead and to the Capex Portfolio lead monthly.
The Ideal Candidate
Minimum Qualifications for the Assistant Project Manager
- IPMA Level D qualification in project management
Essential Experience / Attributes
- A recent background in and appreciation of Nuclear Project delivery.
- SC security clearance or willingness to apply for
Highly Desirable Experience
- Experience of engineering design processes
- A working knowledge of Sellafield safety permissioning processes
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.