Waste Processing Services Hot Isostatic Press (HIP) 100 Manager
A vacancy exists in the WM&D Waste Processing Services team for an enthusiastic Operations Manager who will be at the heart of everything associated with the team’s HIP100 project. As Operations Manager, you will create, maintain and build upon links with all associated stakeholders including Project Management, Technical, Design and Commissioning.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for building the operations team and will ensure effective cohesion between the operations and technical team responsible for successful operation of the HIP facility and delivery of the project. You will be accountable for creating all of the necessary systems required for successful operations including Operations & Maintenance strategies and documentation, a suite of training documentation and records, operator training and you will ultimately demonstrate compliance with all NNL and SL procedures. You, and your team, will work closely with the Commissioning team to ensure a successful and seamless transition to the operational phase with safe delivery of operations thereafter.
The Operations Manager will:
- Be at the heart of the HIP100 project, working with all stakeholder groups to ensure that the HIP100 projects moves successfully through the pre-operations phase to the operational phase.
- Support commissioning of the facility: they will fulfil, with the ops & technical team, the roles of commissioning support engineers to support the NNL Commissioning team in ensuring the HIP facility is ready for operations and to increase the understanding of all operators.
- Deliver operations: they will assist with recruitment of the operations and technical team, develop and facilitate operational training, design, develop and deliver the HIP100 Operations strategy, PMP strategy, operational documents and training.
- Deliver maintenance: they will develop, maintain and deliver the maintenance and calibration regime for the HIP facility. They will acquire/agree maintenance personnel to deliver the work, develop maintenance procedures, create service level agreements, facilitate equipment training for maintenance personnel and design and develop a spares strategy.
- Be responsible for logistics: they will programme operations, technical and engineering support for operational and shutdown phases, develop shift working patterns where appropriate, ensure raw materials and equipment supplier contracts are set up and maintained and ensure waste routes are open and maintained.
- Be accountable for safety: they will be accountable for the safety of all HIP operations. They will manage the implementation of the relevant safety paperwork to support operations, nominate personnel to support safety and emergency management activities, report events, be integral to any investigations and proactively observe all operations with a view to continuous improvement.
- Be responsible for Quality Assurance: they will develop a Quality Assurance system for the facility with specific reference to calibrations, operational data collection, maintenance, safety and spares. Technical quality will be managed by the Technical Lead for the project.
- Successfully manage ongoing interactions between the HIP facility and Compliance, OCM’s, Customers etc.
- Maintain strong links with the Project and Capability Managers for the purposes of reporting progress and any issues relating to operations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant experience in rig and/or full-scale plant activities; operations, maintenance, operational planning etc.
- Significant experience of leading a team, directly or indirectly
- Demonstrable competence in managing multiple stakeholders, i.e. Compliance, technical, commissioning, OCM’s etc.). Ability as a communicator and influencer is paramount.
- Experience of management of safety in an operational capacity in plant and rig hall environments.
- Experienced in the management of events and actions with the ability to investigate and lead change as necessary (5+ years)
- Degree in a relevant scientific or engineering subject; Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science etc. (experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications at this level).
- Proven ability to build and/or maintain a cohesive team with the drive to ensure delivery to customer satisfaction.
- Significant experience in planning and delivering tasks to quality, time and cost.
- Demonstrable customer focus with good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to analyse data, identifying potential faults and taking action to prevent breakdown and events.
- Trained and experienced to work in active area environments or ability to develop such skills.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.