Director of Strategy
Lead the development and implementation of NNL corporate strategy and support other strategy development across NNL; lead outcomes from the Focus Areas; lead the SSI strategy and insight team; general support to Chief Strategy Officer.
- Manage the process of defining NNL’s strategy, including its purpose, mission, vision and goals; and manage the process of refreshing the strategy at appropriate intervals.
- Engage with Business Areas and Focus Areas to support strategy development and delivery for each Business and Focus Area.
- Engage with external and internal stakeholders as appropriate to help formulate NNL’s corporate strategy, incorporating Business and Focus Area strategies.
- Help secure approval from the Executive, Board and UK Government of NNL’s strategy.
- Monitor the implementation of the strategy using accurate and timely reports which inform internal and external stakeholders about benefits, progress and issues.
- Monitor alignment of the strategy with customer delivery and allocation of resources.
- Approve strategy investments within delegated powers and ensure timely delivery of investment targets.
- Communicate the strategy and implementation to employees and UK Government and support communication to customers and external stakeholders.
- Monitor the NNL’s external environment and internal performance to assess any impact on NNL.
- Prepare Strategy policies, processes and procedures that are consistent with good industry practice.
- Support the development and submission of NNL’s proposals into the Comprehensive Spending Review to secure funding opportunities.
- Maintain SSI’s risk register and lead regular risk reviews across the function.
- Coordinate and deliver SSI’s monthly functional report.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate (min 2:2) with understanding of strategy and demonstrable working experience within the nuclear industry or similar government owned organisation.
- Knowledge of the NNL’s owner, customers, competitors, capabilities and stakeholders.
- Experience of engaging and working with Executives, Boards and Government.
- Demonstration of excellent communication and leadership skills.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.