Senior Project Manager
To provide senior Project Management representation on complex projects (typically Class 3 & 4 projects) to ensure safe and successful delivery; line management of the Project Management personnel, and responsibility for leading the implementation / integration of PMA organisational functional initiatives and objectives.
- Line management and leadership responsibility for local office Project Manager (PM) resources to ensure that a high-quality Project Management services are being delivered.
- Provision of direction and leadership to PM team on matters relating to PMA operational initiatives, goals and NNL performance targets, including responsibility for ensuring adherence to PMA systems & processes, e.g. the project delivery framework.
- Provision of senior leadership on complex projects to ensure that they are delivered in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals, and objectives compliant with all relevant Client, NNL, EHSS&Q, regulatory and legal assurance requirements.
- Ensuring optimal performance the PM Team in terms of utilisation & billability of personnel, training & development, and health & welfare of staff, etc., and provision of regular management information reports for senior level periodic PMA reviews. .
- Ensuring that financial performance is managed to achieve maximum revenue and profitability of the project (supported by the Project Controls function).
- Responsibility for bid development, including designated authority for approval of delivery proposals, and allocation of resources, prior to works moving in to the delivery phase.
- Engagement and management of a competent, effective and integrated Project Team, including management oversight, motivation and monitoring of the team’s performance; quality assurance; and addressing areas of under-performance (as required).
- Establishment of clear and robust communications and meeting strategies to ensure effective communication across the project team and key stakeholders; implementing regular reviews and controls to monitor project progress.
- Provision of accurate and timely information and reports regarding the project status, activities and performance, both in terms of work activity and financial performance, including CPI & SPI statistics (via the Project Controls function).
- Ensure that change control processes and procedures are fully understood by all project delivery staff, and are rigorously implemented as required throughout the project lifecycle.
- Ensuring robust risk management protocols are in place to effectively manage and mitigate project risks to secure the project baseline costs and schedules; creation and maintenance of risk / RAIDS schedules; and the escalation of risks where appropriate (supported by the Project Controls function).
- Management of the Client Expectation (CES) & Satisfaction Survey (CSS) process (via the Customer Experience Function); managing feedback; acting upon; sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE).
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications and Experience
- Project Management professional qualification (e.g. APMP, Diploma APM, IPMA Level D) or working towards.
- Demonstrable experience in a Project / Programme Management capacity.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully leading and delivering medium-large scale / complex projects, in a Senior Project or Programme Management capacity.
- Demonstrable knowledge of project delivery processes; life cycle management methodologies, and value adding tools, processes and practices.
- Experience of delivering a range of projects in a nuclear environment, ideally including technical, infrastructure, and capital projects, including installations; commissioning, and management of safety case and/or regulatory requirements.
- Experience of delivering projects under different contracting models, e.g. NEC, JCT, etc.
- Demonstrable experience of team leadership / mentoring / coaching.
- Strong understanding of typical project delivery procedures, tools protocols and systems within a nuclear environment or equivalent regulated industry. Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Incl. MS Word, Excel, PPoint), and working knowledge of MS Project / EPM / Primavera P6, or other Project Management software packages and/or tools.
- Ability to understand a portfolio of projects, with the ability to adapt from strategy to detail.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to engage stakeholders and build strong collaborative relationships
- Demonstrable ability in negotiation and meeting client requirements.
- Acts as a role model to NNL’s values and behaviours
- Proven ability to lead and inspire others to achieve goals
- Ability to prioritise efforts and activities (of self and teams) based on project / customer expectations and NNL project commitments / required outcomes.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.