Technician (Electron Optics)
The Electron Optics team supports projects on behalf of NNL’s major customers - providing information on the performance of reactor materials and underpinning the ongoing operation of the UK nuclear operations.
The role is for a specialist technician to support the work of experts in the operation and maintenance of electron microscopes, together with the associated reporting of results to customers.
- Routine operation of electron microscopes and production of high-quality images and analysis data.
- Maintenance of appropriate records and analysis of data for provision to customers.
- Support maintenance of microscopes and laboratory equipment.
- Preparation of active samples for microscope analysis.
- Production of work control documentation, including safe system of work packs.
- Support the development of new equipment and techniques for measurement and analysis.
- Communicate with staff within and across teams.
The Ideal Candidate
- HND, or equivalent, in an appropriate scientific discipline (e.g. physics, chemistry, materials).
- SC cleared or the ability to become so.
- Computer literate.
- Proven ability to conform to appropriate safe systems of work.
- Proven ability to perform tasks within defined timescales and in accordance with quality management standards.
- Experience in the routine operation of electron microscopes (e.g. SEM).
- Classified radiation worker with active area working experience.
- Experience of materials sample preparation.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.