The job has expired.
A vacancy has arisen in the Nuclear and Reactor Physics team for a high calibre, motivated Nuclear Physicist with an interest in driving technical delivery in new projects aligned with NNL Purposes of Clean Energy and Nuclear Health and Medicine..
This role will be key one within the Nuclear & Reactor Physics Team underpinning the development of a future UK nuclear fuel cycle and therefore feeds into and influences the wider shaping of UK energy policy and the strategy for moving towards a low carbon future.
- Deliver technical work to the satisfaction of customers, with delivery to safety, time, cost and quality
- Provide specialist technical support and advice to bespoke and technologically cutting-edge (non-standard) customer projects ensuring the delivery of high-quality outputs
- Oversee the work of other and provides coaching to develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company
- Lead the development and application of appropriate technical and managerial processes and systems applicable to their work area
- Ensure that work scopes are effective to answer the customer’s needs and outputs meet NNL and customer standards and strategic objectives
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policies and procedures appropriate to the role
- Foster and maintain key relationships (internal and external) to ensure effective and efficient project delivery
- Actively support as well as lead in improvement initiatives including enabling change activities within the team and wider NNL
- Represent NNL (or the UK) at international working groups overseas or international collaboration meetings as required
The Ideal Candidate
- A directly relevant 2:1 (or above) BSc. Degree or equivalent in a Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Recognised ability to create, manage and successfully deliver large, complex technical projects involving software, nuclear or reactor physics codes, associated knowledge and experience
- Demonstrable ability to inform and drive innovation and successfully manage and deliver programmes where novel or cutting-edge technologies are used/or applied
- Recognised and demonstrable understanding and insight into nuclear and reactor physics in order to drive strategic workstreams aligned to Govt objectives and NNL purpose
- Demonstrable experience in nuclear physics
- Ability to attain DV clearance if required
- Valid UK driving licence
- PhD or Post-doctoral experience in relevant discipline (physics, engineering or mathematics)
- Knowledge of programming (C++ and/or Fortran) with some practical experience
- Experience using UNIX/LINIX operating systems
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.